Daydreaming

It's 7 in the morning and he's sitting on the sofa, staring blankly into space for quite a while now. He didn't get enough sleep last night - his bloodshot eyes were proof enough. In fact, he didn't sleep at all. Outside, nimbus clouds were hovering like spaceships, waiting to rain hard on those who dared to step outside.


"Something wrong?" She asked as she placed a cup of coffee near him on the center table. 

The smoke emanating from it dissipates thinly into the cold, dry air. 

"Hey." She called to him once again. 

"Oh, you talking to me?" He asked while he scruffled his already messy hair. His dark bangs partially covered his left eye. 

"Who else is in this house? Of course I'm talking to you." The girl said. 

"I'm sorry. I was just...daydreaming, you see." The guy replied. His slender hands reached for the cup on the table and slowly drank the coffee. His pale face seemed to lighten up. 

"What are you daydreaming about?. It's too early in the morning to do that. Save those dreams when you're asleep." The girl said as her slim figure slowly disappeared into the dimly-lit kitchen. 

He held the cup with both hands and bowed down on the floor. He saw his reflection on the shiny, mocha-colored tiles and realized that his feet felt cold.  "I just thought about the what-if's. What if I haven't done this? What if I did that instead? Would things turn for the better? These questions keep me up at night. It eats me up inside and it's tearing me apart." 

"What did you say?" I didn't hear because I was in the kitchen." The girl asked as she made her way back to the living room.

"It's nothing." The guy plainly said. He looked outside and saw nothing but the darkness of sky and the emptiness of the street. 

It started to rain. 

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

3 Responses to “Daydreaming”

  1. What a wonderful story! Is it autobiographical? I really like to read your stories can't wait for another one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the compliment :) I'm glad you liked it. It's just a mix of my own experiences and a tad bit of imagination.

    ReplyDelete

Weee!